A 3d printer which can also laser engrave and cut through plastics, woods and certain metals, is set to launch on Kickstarter today.
The core competency of the machine, which is designed to be idiot proof and also seriously useful for engineers, seems to be its 3d printing capability, according to its Kickstarter page.
"It was important to us from the beginning for this machine to be easy to use no matter what your experience level," the company writes. "This is why the Versa3D incorporates wireless printing, automated bed leveling and edge finding, drag and drop onboard slicing, and quick change tool heads. All of these features make it easy for anyone to create."
Specs from Versa3d:
- Dual Extruders. The Versa3D incorporates two E3D™ all-metal extruders into the design. This allows for the ultimate experimentation with filaments. 3D print soluble support material or print in two colors.
- Powerful Spindle. The spindle is a powerful 300W motor that is virtually silent when running. This allows for use on a desktop without the noise of other router heads.
- Laser. The 2500mW laser gives you the power to cut and engrave a wide variety of materials.
- Wireless Control. The ability to control and monitor the machine from your smartphone or tablet is important to us.
- Onboard Slicing. Not only is our machine wireless, it is as easy as drag and drop. Truly simple no matter what your previous experience.
- Automated Setup. Keeping the machine simple for users was important. We incorporated a lidar sensor to automatically level the build surface as well as edge find for CNC milling.
- Build Plate. A 3D printer is only as good as it's first layer. We have incorporated the BuildTak™ surface to ensure maximum adhesion for printing.
- Rigidity and Speed. The machine is built from structural aluminum framing for rigidity. The rack and pinion design allows for speed and accuracy no matter what tool.
- Precision. With repeatability of 0.008", precision is no question.
- Assembled and Tested. The Versa3D ships fully assembled and tested.